Things to do in London This Week
LIST: Wed 17th Dec to Wed 24th Dec 2014: the best cultural events, from a Vegas Shylock (Merchant of Venice) to luxury hoodies (L'Estrange)
Mick Jagger’s private chef serves up a traditional Christmas feast: head to Borough Market for roast patridge and chestnuts, beef sirloin and parsnips.
2. TOP PLAY: The Merchant of Venice
3. Rupert Goold’s rollicking Almeida production takes Shylock to Sin City, complete with Elvis, American accents and a whole lot of glitz. Critics approve.
4. CIRCUS: Lionboy
Kids will love Complicite’s spectacular show, which combines circus with live percussion. A family tale with a great deal of heart.
5. FILM FIX: Underground Film Club
The vaults of Waterloo Station house a cosy pop-up screen this winter: this week it’s ‘When Harry Met Sally’, ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ and ‘Love Actually’.
6. FOR KIDS: The Possible Impossible House
Stimulate their minds- The Barbican Pit hosts a nocturnal adventure through corridors, cupboards and ballrooms by award winning company Forced Entertainment.
7. IN THE KNOW: Stations of the Cross
German film has been has been making waves in theological and cinema circles alike: don’t miss the chance to catch this exploration of family, dogma and Catholic fundamentalism.
8. LUXURY HOODIE: L’Estrange Pop Up
A new London pop-up from the Brit brand that perfected the Hoodie: they’re not quite a steal but they are fabulous. We love the one with the paisley lining.
Tamsin Greig takes to the stage in a musical version of Pedro Almodovar’s breakthrough film, which sounds bizarre and could be brilliant.
10. LAST CHANCE: Scandi-Bird at Bluebird, Chelsea
Sip mulled wine under the stars: Nordic winter comes to Chelsea, complete with Scandi nibbles, Belvedere cocktails, candles and reindeer skins and furs.
11. HIDDEN GEM: Courtney Pine, Hideaway
Revered British saxophonist/clarinettist comes to South London for a two night residency: last time round the gigs were sell-out, getting 5 stars from the Independent.