Sunglasses trends: summer 2020
The hottest sunglasses trends for an instant outfit update
Classic styles are a safe bet that will see you through many summers to come, but it's hard to resist the instant wardrobe update provided by a perfectly on-trend pair of statement shades. Scroll down for our pick of the sunglasses trends for summer 2020.
Culture Whisper is your curated guide to the best of London. We may earn a commission for items purchased through our retailer links.
1. Ace & Tate Grace sunglasses, £98 – buy here. 2. Loewe cat's-eye tortoiseshell sunglasses, £300 – buy here. 3. Fenty Off Record sunglasses, £270 – buy here. 4. Chimi tiger-print cat's-eye sunglasses, £130 – buy here. 5. Saint Laurent SL215 Kate cat's-eye sunglasses, £270 – buy here. 6. Tom Ford Eyewear tortoiseshell cat's-eye sunglasses, £300 – buy here.
There's a reason that cat's-eye sunglasses are a perennial style pick: they're near universally flattering. Whether you want to inject some retro glamour, a bit of kitsch fun or take a more angular approach, there are plenty of ways to experiment with the feline-inspired shape.
The tiger-striped style from Swedish brand Chimi is perfect for fans of Ganni, while the wraparound shape of the Fenty frames will provide further protection from scattered UV rays.
1. Dior Eyewear Montaigne tortoiseshell-acetate sunglasses, £345 – buy here. 2. Le Specs Discomania oversized square acetate sunglasses, £70 – buy here. 3. The Row x Oliver Peoples Victory LA square sunglasses, £430 – buy here. 4. Bottega Veneta oversized square acetate sunglasses, £240 – buy here.
The tiny sunnies trend has been placed firmly in the shade by the vogue for oversized square frames this summer, and we're all for their hangover-hiding qualities, not to mention the fact they provide far more coverage from damaging UV rays.
Dior's angular Montaigne frames are a hit of the season, but if you're looking for something more subtle it's hard to go wrong with The Row x Oliver Peoples 90s-inspired version.
Colour-pop sunglasses1. Ray-Ban yellow aviator-style sunglasses, £158 – buy here. 2. Chloé Poppy hexagon-framed sunglasses, £275 – buy here. 3. Gucci pink cat's-eye sunglasses, £310 – buy here. 4. Stella McCartney green rectangular sunglasses, £225 – buy here. 5. Jimmy Choo Iona tortoiseshell cat's-eye sunglasses, £225 – buy here. 6. Izipizi sunglasses, £29 – buy here.
When it comes to adding a bit of colour to your look, accessories are a great place to start. And as there are a range of hues – from punchy and vibrant to muted pastels – there's a colour-pop pair of shades out there for almost everyone.
Keep things retro with metal frames and colour-wash lenses from Chloé or Gucci, or opt for a more modern approach with futuristic frames that are bright and beautiful, like Stella McCartney's green pair.
1. Fendi round tortoiseshell-acetate sunglasses, £279 – buy here. 2. Christian Dior DiorSpirit1 round-frame sunglasses, £239 – buy here.
3. Celine Eyewear round acetate sunglasses, £310 – buy here. 4. Linda Farrow Luxe 966 C1 round-frame sunglasses, £599 – buy here.
Oversized round frames are a style that just won't quit. Whether it's because they're reminiscent of the freedom and flower power of the 60s and 70s or that they pair perfectly with artfully undone hair and minimal make-up, they've become a summer go-to.
The tortoiseshell of this Fendi pair makes them a true style classic, but if you're worried about overwhelming delicate features, experiment with clear acetate frames from Celine or fine metal by Linda Farrow Luxe.
1. Frame Chain Teenage Kicks mother-of-pearl glasses chain, £200 – buy here. 2. Missoma gold Axiom eyewear chain, £215 – buy here.
3. Frame Chain Pearly Princess pearl and gold-plated glasses chain, £220 – buy here. 4. Kaleos sunglasses chain, £35 – buy here. 5. Orris London Smiley mini glasses chain in blush pink, £55 – buy here. 6 Emmanuelle Khanh link sunglasses chain, £89 – buy here.
Whether you're planning to buy a new pair of shades or are already faithfully wedded to your existing frames, it's likely you won't have missed the extra accessory that's having a moment. Sunglasses chains are everywhere right now, adding a touch of elegance, irreverence or simple practicality to summer outfits all over Instagram.
And seemingly every aesthetic is catered for, from Frame Chain's delicate pieces that will blend into your jewellery to chunkier fashion statements by Kaleos that are impossible to miss.